ACADEMY OF PARENTS IN LEADERSHIP (APL)
Purpose and Vision
APL is an education initiative of Pilsen Neighbors Community Council and Gamaliel of Metro Chicago to increase and solidify parent involvement in schools and our community. The purpose of this initiative is to help parents understand power in the public arena so that parents can become strong school leaders and advocates in educational issues affecting them, their children, and the community. The APL group is made up of parents representing various schools in the community.
This program seeks to provide parents with the knowledge base needed for them to become strong education leaders and advocates in educational issues affecting them, their children, and schools in our community.
This program emphasizes the core competency areas: (1) leadership; (2) education policy; (3) civic engagement; (4) education emerging issues in immigrant communities and (5) cultural education integration.
Program Goals and Expected Learning Outcomes
- Understand the organizational structure and function of school from the Local School Council and parent committees to the Board of Education at the district and the state level. Participants will understand their role, responsibilities and opportunities to support their children’s education by becoming more engaged in their school.
- Become familiar with the Five Essentials for a Quality School (Effective Leader, Collaborative Teachers, Involved Families, Supportive Environment, Ambitious Instruction)and understand what they can do to insure that such essentials are implemented well in their schools.
- Understand the concept of a community schools and the type of resource that collaboration with community organizations can bring to their schools to support the learning needs of their children and their families.
- Get a clearer understanding of the law No Child Left Behind/ Title 1 so that participants can work more effectively with administrators in theirs school when making decisions that impact their children quality of education.
- Learn the importance of data and data management related to the evaluation of academic progress of children and their school.
- Understand the importance of civic engagement and community organization to advocate for quality education and other issues affecting our communities.
The Academy of Parents in Leadership (APL) is hosting a parent assembly for all Chicago Public Schools’ parents on education funding and equity for adequate resources for our community schools at Whittier Dual Language School Gymnasium, Event details 2017 coming soon.
REGISTER FOR THIS EVENT (Coming soon)